Monday 7 October 2019

I WAS NOT DIGITAL LITERATE THOUGH I WAS IT LITERATE…..



When I started working at University as an academic librarian, I had a knowledge and skill of information literacy. I taught how to search information, how to evaluate and how to use it accordingly. I could not use technology (online platforms) to teach, I could use tradition methods with power point presentations. Later, I was challenge by the management to utilize learning platforms available for teaching and assessment.  The starting was very difficult since I had no idea of these platforms and Tools. The university had Moodle platform yet I didn’t know how to use it for effective teaching
I consulted colleagues for some training on how to use it. I get used to some features and continued to self learn others.   Slowly I became confidence with it and start looking for more collaborative platform. Again I was introduced to Google docs, with this im able to review students work on real time basis. I collaborate with colleagues in research works etc. what next……?
I see there are many online tools for the same purpose but some I have many doubts on its reliability and sustainability. Security issues…..?
Developing skills, competences and confidence for going online using particular tool, needs time, energy and passion.
I Used to read different blogs, but I was hesitant to use it in the classroom (Fear of unknown)..…. Now Im challenged by ONL 192. Hope will start taking it  to the Class. I have Face book account but don’t feel safe using it  as class,  drop box  as well but  I use it for social activities and personal, I never thought they  are reliable tools,  to use for serious matters.
Inspite of being IT literate, Digital literacy is calling upon the ability to identify (find), evaluate, create and communicate information.  
There various tools for online collaborative learning, but in the end we should, able to identify one which suit ones environment.
I Enjoy the first topic: DIGITAL LITEACY.

4 comments:

  1. ...And I've enjoyed reading your blog - agree; it's all about confidence and I'm still building or shall I say: "boosting" mine!
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting perspective regarding safety, reliability and sustainability of tools. Many tools are for free, but have additional features that you can pay for, or the are for free for a trial period only. I also feel somewhat insecure using such tools for my teaching - what if I become dependent on a tool (become used to it), and suddenly they decide to make it very expensive, or to sell all my info to Google!?

    From: Maria Niemi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting, your inquiry on digital literacy. Your personal story makes clear what skills are needed when becoming a digital habitant or resident.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only confirm what you said on the blog. I like to try tools again and again, always being careful whether they are safe enough. With the sentence ... "there are several tools for collaborative online learning, but in the end we should be able to identify one that fits our environment" ... you bring it in my opinion to the point. But exactly the identification, in my opinion, is the challenge.

    ReplyDelete

LESSON LEARNED AND FUTURE PRACTICE

This reflection marks the end of ONL 192 journey. I can point out three important  key issues Things I struggled  with during the course, ...